Indications for Use
- Alendronate is used to treat osteoporosis in the elderly (Cosman et al., 2014).
- A preventive remedy to protect from a possible threat.
- The drug is suitable for recovery after surgery.
- The medicine for different ages.
- Acute and continuous pain in the joints.
- Changes in the bone structure caused by injuries.
Advantages of Alendronate
- A clinically effective and safe drug.
- Reducing the risk of fractures and damage.
- Weakening of pain and discomfort.
- A possibility to combine with other medicines.
- A tested drug with the evidence of efficiency.
- Benefits for all parts of the bone tissue.
Dosage of the Drug
- Five milligrams per day is recommended for prevention.
- The drug can be used as an additional medicine.
- A standard tablet is of ten milligrams (Özşahin et al., 2017).
- For osteoporosis, ten milligrams is recommended daily.
- Seventy milligrams once every seven days can be taken.
- A single take reduces the impact on the esophagus.
Possibility of Disease Prevention
- Alendronate is a good preventive medicine.
- A small dose will be enough for prevention.
- The use of concomitant medications is possible.
- The effectiveness of prevention is clinically proven (Cosman et al., 2014).
- Side effects are quite rare and individual.
- Prevention allows strengthening the bone tissue.
Contradictions of Alendronate
- Individual intolerance of components.
- Diseases of the esophagus and stomach.
- A decreased level of calcium in the blood (Özşahin et al., 2017).
- A severe renal failure is a contraindication.
- The lack of movement after taking the pill.
- The overdose of the drug.
Rules for Taking the Drug
- The medicine should be taken in the morning before breakfast (Özşahin et al., 2017).
- The whole tablet is taken without chewing.
- It is important to stand after taking the drug.
- The medicine cannot be taken before going to bed.
- The drug is taken with much water.
- Concomitant medications should be used separately.
Cosman, F., De Beur, S. J., LeBoff, M. S., Lewiecki, E. M., Tanner, B., Randall, S., & Lindsay, R. (2014). Clinician’s guide to prevention and treatment of osteoporosis. Osteoporosis International, 25(10), 2359-2381.We will write a custom Alendronate for Managing and Treating Osteoporosis specifically for you
for only $14.00 $11,90/page 308 certified writers online Learn More
Özşahin, E. T., Çam, B., Dere, F., Kürkçü, M., Evrüke, C., Soames, R., & Oğuz, Ö. (2017). The effect of alendronate sodium on trabecular bone structure in an osteoporotic rat model. Turkish Journal of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 63(2), 165-173.